Do you grind your teeth in your sleep?
If you do don’t worry you are certainly not alone. About half of the population does it from time to time. Around 5-20 per cent of the population are regular, forceful tooth grinders. Often it happens during sleep, but some people grind their teeth when they are awake.
A simple and cost effective solution to tooth grinding is wearing an occlusal splint also known as a bruxism or occlusal or grinding splint
Occlusal splints have proven to be the most beneficial treatment for patients who clench or grind their teeth Clear splint provides ultimate comfort for the patient. Flexible clear splint is self adjusting in the mouth when softened in warm water. It remains flexible with the warmth of the mouth .
Usually, a person doesn’t realise that they grind their teeth in their sleep. The partner who shares their bed (and hears the grinding noises at night) is often the first to notice the problem. Parents may also hear it in their sleeping children.
With all the stressors of our modern world it is no wonder that so many people are regular tooth grinders. Grinding can be a result of stress. For example, some people grind their teeth when they are angry, concentrating or feeling anxious.
Often People who grind their teeth have no idea they are doing it (because you are asleep!) Its usually as a result of one or more of the following symptoms that an awareness occurs.
Enter your name and phone number for more information
Signs and symptoms of teeth grinding include:
- grinding sounds while the person is asleep
- headache, jaw joint and/or ear pain
- aching teeth, particularly just after waking up
- aching and/or stiffness of the face and temples just after waking up
- aching or stiffness in the jaws while chewing, particularly during breakfast
- tooth indentations on the tongue
- raised tissue on the inside of the cheek caused by biting
- loose teeth.
- clenching the jaw when angry, anxious or concentrating
- temperature-sensitive teeth
- cracked or chipped tooth enamel
At Discount Dental we make all of our own splints so we are able to pass the savings directly onto our patients.
Phone today for your FREE consultation to find out it if a splint can help you.